Who doesn’t like a good zombie anime with all the thrilling moments, struggle for survival, gore, and so much more!
This awesomeness was what the anime, Highschool of the Dead brought to our screens in a brief period. Now the future for the show seems hopeless at most, but we’re helping dig into everything we know thus far.
What Happened in Highschool of the Dead Season 1?
Okay, so starting from the top, this heartbreaking love story between fans and this show all began with the hit that was the Highschool of the Dead Season 1. The show, known as ‘Apocalyptic Academy: Highschool of the Death,’ is an anime is a manga series adaptation written by Daisuke Sato and illustrated by Shoji Sato.
In the anime, we’re drawn into the story of an apocalyptic disaster leading to the rise of zombies. The zombie virus causes a global outbreak, leaving those uninfected fighting for their lives.
The story hones in on our main characters who are a group of high school students. They struggle to save themselves from the zombies and find a safe place to hide. They’re brave high schoolers willing to put down even their comrades that fall to the zombie virus.
In Season 1, the goal for the main characters was to escape the infected school and reaching a safe zone. With Japan entirely overtaken by the virus, their journey only got more challenging. We are left in heated suspense by the end of Season 1, wondering if our survivors will indeed survive.
The main characters of Highschool of the Dead:
- Junichi Suwabe: as Takashi Komuro, a 17-year-old protagonist. Childhood friends with Rei. Best friends with Rei’s boyfriend, Hishashi.
- Eri Kitamura: as Saya Takagi, a second-year high schooler. Daughter of an influential politician. She’s a self-proclaimed genius who helps others.
- Miyuki Sawashiro: as Saeko Busujima, a third-year high schooler. President of the school’s Kendo club. Saeko always carries a wooden sword and struggles with violence.
- Yukarari Fukui: as Shizuka Marikawa, a high school nurse with a charming personality and a large chest.
- Marina Inoue: as Rei Miyamoto, who is Takashi’s childhood friend. Member of the Sojutsu club with impressive combat skills.
- Ayana Takekstatsu: as Alice Maresato, a little girl who lost her father and was saved by Takashi. Alice has no special combat skills or weapons because of her age.
- Nobuyuki Hiyama: as Kohta Hirano, a second-year high schooler skilled with firearms. He is presented as an overweight guy with glasses.
This first season was released in 2010. This means that Season 2 has been a decade long in waiting. It was a 12-episode anime adaptation produced by Madhouse.
What’s Going on With Madhouse?
The mental institution is a Japanese animation studio that produces popular anime shows like Death Note, One Punch Man- first season, Ninja Scroll, Wicked City Black Lagoon, Btooom!, All Out!, and Hunter x Hunter’s 2011 adaptation.
The mental institution has been busy before and since Highschool of the Dead; unfortunately, Madhouse is no longer interested in producing Season 2 of this show. Rumors contend that a US-based Anime Network is ready to take up the production.
What’s the Deal With Highschool of the Dead Season 2 Then?
So, let’s break down the situation.
In 2017, Daisuke Sato, the manga writer for Highschool of the Dead, passed away. It came as a shock to fans worldwide. And that left the manga of the series incomplete with only seven volumes.
Four of the seven volumes were already used in Season 1 of the anime adaptation. This leaves only three volumes of source material, which is still incomplete at best.
Hence, for production to continue, illustrator Shoji has already clarified that if they can find a writer capable of bringing Daisuke’s vision for the story to life, they will proceed further with the source material.
But during our decade-long wait, fans have been tortured with endless rumors, false release dates such as the end of 2020, the end of 2021, even fake Season 2 trailers, all triggered by God knows who.
What Are Fans Saying About Highschool of the Dead Season 2?
Fans of Highschool of the Dead have only love for the show. Ten years later, that love reigns as people continue to ask when Season 2 will be produced.
Check out some comments from a few months to weeks ago:
“I WILL ALWAYS SEARCH FOR SEASON 2 UNTIL WE GET ONE (RIP the creator),”
“Aight, guys, don’t give up; we might get Season 2 someday,”
“I’m a patient guy. I’ll wait for a remake or a next season,”
Will There Be a Highschool of the Dead Season 2?
We’ll answer this question together by linking the facts. And for perspective, these are the facts:
- The original author of the manga/source material passed away in 2017.
- He was able to give us seven volumes of the story. The number of volumes isn’t the problem. The problem is that with seven volumes, the story is still incomplete (read the manga to see).
- Four of the seven volumes were used in Season 1. Perhaps Season 2, could come out of the remaining three volumes, but what then?
- The illustrator has mentioned that if they can find a new writer, the show will continue.
- Madhouse is out but certainly, another production will pick up the adaptation if there’s the source material.
Some breaking news you may not have heard yet. A few days ago, there was a remastered release of the Highschool of the Dead opening song. This op remaster that came out of nowhere.
That’s all the facts, and if we’re linking to answer the question of “will there be a Season 2 of Highschool of the Dead,” we can say… MAYBE.
It can happen. It might happen. There’s no simple yes or no answer to this particular question. Only more time will tell. If you’re a fan, keep the hope up, but don’t obsess.
Read the manga if you haven’t yet to get some comfort.