Seraph of the End, known as Owari no Seraph in Japanese, is a dark fantasy manga. Takaya Kagami wrote them with illustrations by Yamato Yamamoto and storyboards created by Daisuke Furuya. It got published in Jump SQ and for English, Weekly Shonen Jump. Fans, including me, all over got excited about the anime adaptation. After two great seasons, fans now wait for Season 3 of Seraph of the End.
Season 1 of the anime, Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign, was released on April 4th of 2015 and spanned 12 episodes. The second season, Seraph of the End: Battle in Nagoya, came out soon after the first one ended on October 10th of 2015, with 12 episodes. Both seasons reached pretty good scores. There were a couple of spin-off episodes made as well. The anime came from the manga, which started serializing on September 3, 2012.
A finished light novel series, which is a prequel to manga and anime, was created. It was published from January 2013 to December 2016. It was written and illustrated by the same people as the manga and consists of 7 volumes. A manga is adapting that series started serializing on June 6th of 2017. Perhaps, we will receive an anime version of this prequel story.
More prequel light novels were created from this successful manga series. Two Japanese video games have been created. You can check them all out, but this is not what we are here for.
We are here to find out what is happening with Season 3 of Seraph of the End.
What Happened in the First Two Seasons of Seraph of the End?
This is a post-apocalyptic world where a mysterious virus kills everyone above thirteen years of age. The hiding vampires emerge to take over, with the promise of protecting them. The story follows two young survivors, Yuuichirou and Mikaela. They attempt to survive with their fellow orphanage family as livestock for the vampires.
You probably already know the whole story if you are reading this article. If you have not and are wondering if this is an ongoing anime, I would not spoil anything. There is much more to come from this story, as it is deep and compelling. The first episode is a genius hook that makes you want to know what will happen next.
You can say it is your typical supernatural shounen anime that follows a young man as he grows stronger and seeks his revenge. It has excellent battles and friendships between the characters. The first season leaves us with a cliffhanger that, thankfully, the second season quickly picked up from.
Now we have the cliffhanger at the end of Season 2, but where is Season 3?
Can We Expect to See Season 3 of Seraph of the End?
Both seasons were adapted by Wit Studio and licensed by Funimation. The anime came out a little too soon as the manga was not that far yet. The manga’s writer, Takaya Kagami, personally wrote the story for the episodes not yet made. If they waited a little longer for the two previous seasons of the anime, perhaps we don’t have to wait long for Season 3.
Animation studios always have a hard time continuing an older anime, but we are seeing a rise in older anime getting new seasons now. They need to make money from the anime, and the manga is selling very well. So, there should be no problem with the studio making another season. However, Wit Studio has been busy with Attack on Titan, and they want to do their original anime.
Currently, there are no confirmations regarding Season 3. Releasing the anime was, of course, all part of the business of helping the manga sell. They left it off at a cliffhanger, making fans like me read the manga, but even then, we had to wait for the manga to get that far. When you get so invested in these characters and their stories, waiting is awful.
Is There Enough Source Material for Season 3 Now?
It has been a little over four years since the end of Season 2. The manga has come a long way since then and, at the moment, has 20 volumes. The chapters come out monthly, and the latest chapter was 87. With only minor differences between the manga and the anime, the anime contains 41 chapters. We are now at the point that the chapters are double that and can be looking at Season 3.
Although, we do not know how many chapters they want for the next season. Do they want to split it up again to Season 3 and 4 or one season, with 24 episodes? Season 1 concludes in chapter 25, whereas Season 2 is the remaining 16 chapters. The number of branches they use per season varies.
What Is the Plot of Seraph of the End Season 3?
You can read the manga to see how the plot continues or patiently wait for another season. Provided that the manga continues to be popular, we can expect to see another season. Season 2 attempted to finish it off at a good point, not depicting all that the manga did. The manga is a rollercoaster that never slows down.
Without spoiling it, the survival action continues in Season 3. The gang is only trying to survive. It is an all-out war happening in this post-apocalyptic dark fantasy world. Vampires are still trying to take control of their food supply, the humans. We will be seeing even more powerful vampires in the next season. All the weapons the main human characters wield have demons in them. Season 3 explores more.
The last episode did get changed in the chapter when it was released. It is not unusual for anime to diverge from its source material, though. How they will continue from this change is a mystery. Read the manga starting from chapter 41 to see it for yourself. The manga is great, and I am always looking forward to every branch and hope to see it animated.
Who Are the Characters in Seraph of the End Season 3?
This section might spoil for some. If you want to know the characters in Seraph of the End, then read on. The characters are what makes this story and why I love it so much. Stronger vampires will appear, but who will appear in Season 3 depends on how much they adapt.
Here are the main characters:
- Yuuichirou Hyakuya: the main protagonist and member of the Japanese Imperial Demon Army’s Demon Moon Squad. His demon weapon is a sword. He was abandoned at an orphanage and had to deal with a lot. All he wanted to do was get revenge, but in Season 3, all he wants to do is protect his friends.
- Mikaela Hyakuya: growing up in the same orphanage, he also has to deal with a lot. He does not escape the vampires like his best friend Yuuichirou does. He gets turned into a vampire and starts to lose his humanity. The only thing he cares about is saving Yuuichirou.
- Guren Ichinose: the main protagonist of the light novels and a major part of the plot. He is the Lieutenant Colonel of the Japanese Imperial Demon Army. His squad of close friends is also involved in the plot of Season 3.
- Shinoa Hiiragi: the Moon Demon Squad’s leader. Wields a scythe as a weapon and has a complicated family plot in Season 3.
- Yoichi Saotome: a member of Moon Demon Squad and wields a bow. Wants to avenge his sister’s death by killing the vampires.
- Shihou Kimizuki: a member of Moon Demon Squad and wields two swords. At the end of Season 2 they were unable to save his sister, Mirai, who became a weapon. They swear to come back and save her when they can.
- Mitsuba Sanguu: a member of the moon demon squad and wields a huge axe.
- Krul Tepes: the queen vampire of Japan. She is the third progenitor and is the one responsible for Mikaela being turned into a vampire. She looks down on the humans, but treats Mikaela well.
- Ferid Bathory: the vampire that killed Yuuichrou’s family. He is very chatty and unpredictable. Everyone hates him. More about him will be revealed in Season 3, as he returns.
In the end, nothing was discovered in respect of Seraph of the End, Season 3.
We do know there is enough source material, and it could all be a matter of time. It is up in the air whether we will receive another season of this beloved show. Seraph of the End is one of my favorite manga, and I hope to see another season.